MERCURIC NITRATE is noncombustible, but, as an oxidizing agent, will accelerate the burning of combustible materials. If large quantities are involved in a fire or the combustible material is finely divided, an explosion may result. Light sensitive. Mixtures with alkyl esters may explode, owing to the formation of alkyl nitrates. Mixtures with phosphorus, tin(II) chloride, or other reducing agents may react explosively [Bretherick 1979. p. 108-109]. Acetylene forms a sensitive acetylide when passed into an aqueous solution of MERCURIC NITRATE [Mellor 4:933. 1946-47]. Should not be mixed with alcohols as explosive mercury fulminates may be formed [Bahme 1961. p. 9]. Is violently reduced by hypophosphoric acid [Mellor 4:993. 1946-47]. Reacts with phosphine to give a yellow precipitate that explodes when heated or subjected to shock [Mellor 4:993. 1946-47].
white to yellow crystalline powder with nitric acid odour
Acute systemic poisoning may be fatal within a few minutes; death by uremic poisoning is usually delayed 5-12 days. Acute poisoning has resulted from inhaling dust concentrations of 1.2-8.5 mg/m 3 of air; symptoms inc lude tightness and pain in chest, coughing, and difficulty in breathing. Ingestion causes necrosis, pain, vomiting, and severe purging. Contact with eyes causes ulceration of conjunctiva and cornea. Contact with skin causes irritation and po ssible dermatitis; systemic poisoning can occur by absorption through skin.
A white crystalline solid. Toxic by inhalation, ingestion and/or skin contact. Prolonged exposure to fire or heat may result in an explosion. Produces toxic oxides of nitrogen when heated to decomposition. Used to make other chemicals and in medicine.
Air & Water Reactions
Deliquescent. Soluble in a small amount of water. With much water or on boiling with water, an insoluble basic salt is formed.