TOXIC; inhalation, ingestion or skin contact with material may cause severe injury or death. Contact with molten substance may cause severe burns to skin and eyes. Avoid any skin contact. Effects of contact or inhalation may be delayed. Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases. Runoff from fire control or dilution water may be corrosive and/or toxic and cause pollution.
Special Hazards of Combustion Products: None
Inorganic reducing agents, such as AMMONIUM BISULFITE, react with oxidizing agents to generate heat and products that may be flammable, combustible, or otherwise reactive. Their reactions with oxidizing agents may be violent. Sulfites and hydrosulfites (dithionites) can react explosively with strong oxidizing agents. Sulfites generate gaseous sulfur dioxide in contact with oxidizing acids and nonoxidizing acids.
Ammonium bisulfite is colorless crystals which are soluble in water. Ammonium bisulfite is noncombustible. Ammonium bisulfite is corrosive to aluminum. Ammonium bisulfite is a strong irritant to skin and mucous membranes. Ammonium bisulfite is toxic by skin absorption.
Air & Water Reactions