Intraperitoneal-rat LD50: 125 mg/kg; intraperitoneal-Mouse LD50: 150 mg/kg.
Matrine is a low toxic plant insecticide. The central nervous system of pests is paralyzed once touching the matrine, followed by protein coagulation, blocked spiracle, which finally causing the death of pests. This insecticide can kill pests upon touch and also have stomach poisoning. It has a best killing effect on the aphids, red spiders, cabbage worms leaving in vegetables, apple trees, and cottons.
1. Control of cotton spider mites: Apply the drugs before the occurrence of first peak of cotton spider mites (early June) when cotton seedling leaves rate reaches 7% to 14%. Add 250~350 mL of 0.2% matrine agent with 40~50 kg of water per acre, spray thoroughly.
2. Control of apple leaf mites: Perform this after bloom of apple trees during the hatch of spider mite. Use 100-300 times 0.2% agent for spray. Spraying the whole leaves thoroughly is suitable.
3. Control of aphids: Perform it before the occurrence of aphid pesticide. Use 50~120mL of 1% matrine alcohol solution or 50~65 mL of 0.3% water solution per acre, add water 40~50 kg, Spray uniformly on both dorsal and foliar. Mainly focus on spray the back.
4. Prevention of Pieris: Perform at 7d after the peak of adult spawning, before the third instar. Adding 60-100 mL of 1% alcohol solution with 40~50kg water, or 50~70mL of 0.3% water solution with 40~50kg water for uniformly spray will have a good effect. This medicine has a poor effect on larva of 4 to 5 instar.
5. Prevention of leek maggot: Perform during early occurrence peak of leek maggot. Apply 2~4 kg of 1.1% matrine powder with 1000~2 000kg of water per acre with, add for root irrigation.
6. The control of soil pests: control of wheat cutworms, grubs, wireworms, etc. Apply 2~2.5kg of 1.1% powder per acre with for fertilizing, row replacement or seed dressing. For dressing treatment, seeds should be first moistened with water. Take 4~4.67kg of 1.1% powders per 100kg, stir and mix uniformly. Perform sowing after stacking for 2～4h.
1. Anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory drugs for treatment of chronic cervicitis, dysentery, enteritis.
2. Diuretic effect, anti-pathogenic effect
Water, carbon dioxide, dry, sandy soil.
Treasury temperature, ventilation, drying.
Flammability hazard characteristics
Combustible; Toxic nitrogen oxide is released upon fire decomposition.
Matrine is an alkaloid originated from the root, stem, fruits of legume plant Sophora extracted by organic solvents such as ethanol. It is a kind of alkaloids derivatives which belong to quinolizidine class. The main components of Sophora include many alkaloids such as matrine, oxymatrine, Sophocarpine, oxysophocarpine sophoridine with the contents of matrine and oxymatrine being highest. With different crystallization conditions, matrine four polymorphs: [alpha] type: needle-like, m.p. 76 °C; β-Type: Short prismatic, mp 87 °C; γ-type: oily liquid, conversion into [alpha] type after standing; delta-type: lobed or prismatic, mp 84°C. These polymorphs can be converted to each other and produce the same salts. The relative density: 1.0888 (85/4 °C), refractive index: 1.52865 (85 °C) [α] D20-39.11 °C water. Soluble in cool water, alcohol, ether, chloroform and benzene, insoluble in petroleum ether, the solubility in hot water is lower than that in cold water. It is oxidized into oxymatrine by hydrogen peroxide. Both matrine and oxymatrine are easily soluble in water. However, due to that the oxygen atom in oxymatrine molecule shares a pair of electrons through the semi-polar coordinate bond with the N atom, making it similar with alkaloid salts which has a larger polarity. Therefore it has a greater solubility in water but a lower solubility in organic solvents than matrine.
Matrine is a relatively strong alkaline. Its molecule has two nitrogen atoms with N16 in amide form containing no alkalinity. N1 belongs to tertiary amine with trivalent bound on the ring. Because it has a 3D conformation which is easy to accept the proton, which weakens the influence of its 3D-effect, thus it has a high basicity. Another example is the molecule scopolamine, owing to the existence of ternary oxygen ring, the lone pair of electrons in its nitrogen atom causes a significant 3D-effect (strengthening of steric hindrance), making the nitrogen atom be not easy to release electrons, thus reducing the basicity.
The basicity of Alkaloids is not only related with its N-atom bound state in the heterocyclic structure but also with the chemical environment of N atom such as whether there are electrical effects, 3D-effects as well as other substituent group and molecular hydrogen bonds. However, this issue should be mainly considered from the overall integrity of the molecules.
Matrine has some pharmacological effects such as antibacterial, alleviating asthma, increasing white blood cells levels. Animal experiments showed that it can inhibit certain malignant tumors. Oxymatrine has special significant effect, which has 7.8 times chemotherapy index of that of ametycine. Hypoxic state further significantly enhances its killing effect of LA-795 cells.
The above information is edited by the Chemicalbook of Dai Xiongfeng.
Antibacterial and antiviral effect
0.3% to 1% solution of matrine has significant inhibitory effect on B-type Streptococcus, Shigella, Proteus, E. coli, Staphylococcus aureus, Pseudomonas aeruginosa. 7.5% to 10% of oxymatrine can also inhibit the dysentery, E. coli, Staphylococcus aureus, B type streptococci. Some other reports also show that matrine can also inhibit other pathogens like Mycobacterium tuberculosis, Vibrio cholerae, Mycobacterium leprae, skin pathogenic fungi and Leptospira. In addition, the water decoction of Vietnamese Sophora Root has active substance against Cox B5 virus, thus having some anti-virus effects.