Purify allylamine by fractional distillation from calcium chloride. It causes sneezing and tears. [Beilstein 4 IV 1057.]
A colorless to light yellow colored liquid with a strong ammonia-like odor. Less dense than water. Vapors are heavier than air. Toxic by inhalation, ingestion and skin absorption. Irritates skin, eyes and mucous membranes. Flash point below 0°F. Boiling point 130°F. Used to make pharmaceuticals and other chemicals.
Flammable when exposed to heat, sparks, or flame. Vapor forms explosive mixtures with air over a wide range. Use caution when approaching fire and applying water. Vapor explosion and poison hazard indoors, outdoors or in sewers. Runoff to sewer may create fire or explosion hazard. Can react with oxidizing materials. When heated to decomposition, Allylamine emits toxic fumes. Avoid oxidizing materials. Stable, avoid heating to decomposition. May become unstable at elevated temperatures and pressures or may react with water with non-violent release of energy.
Allylamine reacts violently with strong oxidizing agents and acids. Attacks copper and copper compounds [Handling Chemicals Safely 1980. p. 123]. Reacts with hypochlorites to give N-chloroamines, some of which are explosives when isolated [Bretherick 1979. p. 108].
Air & Water Reactions
Highly flammable. Water soluble.
Acute: an eye, skin, and respiratory tract irritant, which is highly toxic if inhaled or ingested and moderately toxic if absorbed on skin. Ingestion or inhalation may cause death or permanent injury after very short exposure to small quantities. Skin absorption may cause irreversible and reversible changes. Toxic air concentration (TClo) in humans is 5 ppm over 5 minutes. Vapors are extremely unpleasant and may ensure voluntary avoidance of dangerous concentrations. Will irritate nose and throat at 2.5 ppm.
In the manufacture of mercurial diuretics.