Irritation of eyes, nose and throat; headache, dizziness, and nausea.
2-Methyl-2,4-pentanediol is incompatible with the following: Strong oxidizers, strong acids [Note: Hygroscopic (i.e., absorbs moisture from the air).] .
Hexylene Glycol is an oily colorless liquid with a mild sweet odor. It is an oxygenated solvent derived from acetone which has two alcohol functions. It has a low evaporation rate and it is completely miscible with water.
Dry the diol with Na2SO4, then CaH2 and fractionally distil it under reduced pressure through a packed column, taking precautions to avoid absorption of water. [Beilstein 1 IV 2565.]
Air & Water Reactions
Hygroscopic. Water soluble [Hawley]
- Hexylene Glycol is used as a reagent in the synthesis of functionalized boronic esters. it is used in laboratory studies as a precipitant and cryoprotectant in protein crystallography.
- Also used in the preparation of vinylboronates.
- It is mainly used as a coupling agent and an additive to hydraulic fluids, inks and cement. Further, it is used as a solvent for cleaning and colorant products.
- It is a potential substitute for glycol ethers.
- It is an effective shrinkage reduction admixture or SRA for concrete and mortar.
- It can also be used as a building block in chemical synthesis.
- Hexylene glycol is a key solvent in many markets such as paints & coatings, metal working fluids, detergency, cosmetics & fragrances, textiles & leather.It is used to control the flow properties of industrial products such as paints, coatings, cleansers, solvents, and hydraulic fluids. It acts as a thickening agent in cosmetic products.
- It is also employed as a blood volume expander.
ChEBI: A glycol in which the two hydroxy groups are at positions 2 and 4 of 2-methylpentane (isopentane).
Oily colorless liquid with a mild sweet odor. Floats and mixes slowly with water.