colourless crystals or white powder
Urea method: Urea, sodium hypochlorite, caustic soda, in the presence of potassium permanganate can react, by distillation, and then reacts with sulfuric acid for neutralization, the resultant passes through cooling and crystallization, filtration, drying to obtain hydrazine sulfate products.
NaOCI + NH2CONH2 + 2NaOH [KMnO4] → N2H4·H2O + NaCl + Na2CO3
N2H4·H2O + H2SO4 → N2H4·H2SO4 + H2O
It is colorless scaly crystal or orthorhombic crystal. It is tasteless. It is slightly soluble in water, soluble in water, acidic aqueous solution. It is insoluble in alcohol.
Its solubility in H2O is 3% at room temperature, but is very soluble in hot H2O. It is a suspected carcinogen. [Adams & Brown Org Synth Coll Vol I 309 1941, Audrieth & Nickles Inorg Synth I 90 1939.]
1. It can be used as analytical reagent and reducing agent, it can also be used for the purification of rare metals.
2. It can be used as raw material for the manufacture of pharmaceutical. It can be used as raw material for azobisisobutyronitrile and other products in organic industry. It can be used as reducing agent on the plating. It can be used as insecticide, sterilizing agent in agriculture. It can be used as blowing agents in plastics and rubber.
3. It can be used for weight determination of nickel, cobalt and cadmium, purification of rare metals, reducing agents, organic synthesis, separation of polonium and tellurium, determination of hypochlorite, hypochlorous acid and carboxyl compounds, thymol turbidity is prepared in liver function tests. It can be used for isoniazid, nitrofurazone, 100 Health hydrazine, anhydrous hydrazine, pesticides and fungicides, for rocket fuel processing, anti-rust products, manufacture of ADC foaming agent. It is widely used in medicine, organic synthesis, pesticides, plastics, rubber and other industries.
The above information is edited by the chemicalbook of Wang Xiaodong.
Hydrazine sulfate may be synthesized from aqueous ammonia and sodium hypochlorite solution in a two-step process. In the first stage, aqueous solution of ammonia is boiled with a normal solution of sodium hypochlorite in the presence of 10% gelatin solution to yield hydrazine. In the second stage, the hydrazine solution is ice-cooled followed by slow addition of concentrated sulfuric acid (Adams, R., and B.K. Brown. 1964. In Organic Synthesis, Collective Volume I, ed. H. Gilman and A. H. Blatt, 2nd ed. pp 309-310, New York: John Wiley & Sons). The reaction steps are as follows:
2NH3 + NaOCl → NH2NH2 + H2O + NaCl
NH2NH2 + H2SO4 → NH2NH2 •H2SO4
Hydrazine sulfate is salt which generated by hydrazine and sulfuric acid, pure product is colorless scaly crystal or rhombic. The molecular weight is 130.12. Formula is N2H4·H2SO4. Melting point is 254℃, when continues heating, it can decompose. The relative density is 1.37. It is slightly soluble in water, soluble in hot water (at 20℃ 2.87, at 25℃ 3.41, at 30℃ 3.89, at 40℃ 4.16, at 50 ℃ 7.0, at 60℃ 9.07, at 80℃ 14.4), aqueous solution is acidic , it is insoluble in alcohol and ether. It is very stable in air. It is susceptible to alkali and oxidizing agents, it is incompatible with bases, oxidants. It has strong reduction. Rat oral LD50601mg/kg, it is toxic, carcinogenic. The main purpose of hydrazine sulfate is used for determination the weight of nickel, cobalt, cadmium, and the purification of rare metals, the separation of tellurium and polonium, as well as the precipitation of chlorate, hypochlorite and carboxyl compound, it is also used for manufacturing isoniazid , nitrofurazone, 100 Health hydrazine, anhydrous hydrazine, etc., it is also used as reducing agent, insecticides and sterilization agents. Hydrazine sulfate is nutritional supplement in United States for fighting against anorexia, weight loss and other symptoms patients which caused by cancer.
Laboratory method for preparing hydrazine sulfate
1. Sodium hypochlorite is prepared by chlorine and sodium hydroxid, then reacts with ammonia to obtain hydrazine hydrate, and finally to obtain hydrazine by dehydration, and then reacts with sulfuric acid to obtain hydrazine sulfate products. Related chemical reaction equation is as follows:
2NH3 + NaClO → NH2Cl + NaOH
NH2Cl + NaOH + NH3 → N2H4 + NaCl + H2O
N2H4 + H2SO4 → N2H4 · H2SO4
2. When ammonia reacts with water, ammonium hydroxide can be obtained, and then by synthesis, hydrazine solution can be obtained, by evaporation, condensation, crystallization, and finally reacts with sulfuric acid to obtain hydrazine sulfate products.
In the gravimetric estimation of nickel, cobalt and cadmium; in the refining of rare metals; as antioxidant in soldering flux for light metals; as reducing agent in the analysis of minerals and slags; in separating polonium from tellurium; in tests for blood; for destroying fungi and molds; in the preparation of hydrazine hydrate.