Crystallise it from n-hexane or *benzene and store it below 0o. Potentially EXPLOSIVE. [cf Beilstein 2 IV 1102.]
Air & Water Reactions
Highly flammable. Insoluble in water.
Dilauroyl peroxide is an oxidizing agent. Can ignite organic materials; hence a dangerous fire and explosion risk [Hawley]. Strongly reduced material such as sulfides, nitrides, and hydrides may react explosively. Vigorous reactions with other reducing agents. With charcoal sometimes ignites. [Bretherick, 5th ed., 1995, p. 1194].
A white solid with a faint soapy odor. Less dense than water and insoluble in water. Hence floats on water. Melting point 49°C. Toxic by ingestion and inhalation. Strong skin irritant. Used as bleaching agent, drying agent for fats, oils and waxes, and as a polymerization catalyst.
Behavior in Fire: Can increase the severity of a fire. Becomes sensitive to shock when hot. Containers may explode in a fire. May ignite or explode spontaneously if mixed with flammable materials.
Contact with liquid irritates eyes and skin. Ingestion causes irritation of mouth and stomach.