Diethylene glycol is incompatible with strong oxidizing agents. Diethylene glycol is also incompatible with strong bases. Diethylene glycol can react with sulfuric acid and other dehydrating agents, nitric acid, oxygen, hydrogen peroxide, perchloric acid and strong acids. Mixtures with sodium hydroxide decompose exothermically when heated to 446° F.
clear oily liquid
Diethylene glycol is combustible.
A colorless liquid. Denser than water. Contact may slightly irritate skin, eyes and mucous membranes. May be slightly toxic by ingestion. Used to make other chemicals.
In antifreeze solution for sprinkler systems, water seals for gas tanks, etc. (water with 40% diethylene glycol freezes at -18°; with 50% at -28°); as lubricating and finishing agent for wool, worsted, cotton, rayon, and silk; as solvent for vat dyes; in composition corks, glues, gelatin, casein, and pastes to prevent drying out.
Air & Water Reactions
Slightly soluble in water.
Ingestion of large amounts may cause degeneration of kidney and liver and cause death. Liquid may cause slight skin irritation.