TOXIC; may be fatal if inhaled, ingested or absorbed through skin. Inhalation or contact with some of these materials will irritate or burn skin and eyes. Fire will produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases. Vapors may cause dizziness or suffocation. Runoff from fire control or dilution water may cause pollution.
DIKETENE is a very reactive dimer, Acetyl ketene may undergo a spontaneous decomposition followed by explosion or ignition [Vervalin, 1973, p.86]. In the presence of bases, amines, mineral acids or Lewis acids a violent polymerization will occur, accompanied by gas evolution [Zdenek, F. et al., Czech Pat. 156 584, 1975].
HIGHLY FLAMMABLE: Will be easily ignited by heat, sparks or flames. Vapors may form explosive mixtures with air. Vapors may travel to source of ignition and flash back. Most vapors are heavier than air. They will spread along ground and collect in low or confined areas (sewers, basements, tanks). Vapor explosion and poison hazard indoors, outdoors or in sewers. May polymerize explosively when heated or involved in a fire. Runoff to sewer may create fire or explosion hazard. Containers may explode when heated. Many liquids are lighter than water.
Air & Water Reactions
Highly flammable. Slightly soluble in water.
A colorless liquid with a disagreeable odor. Slightly less dense than water. Flash point 90°F. Irritates skin and eyes. Used to make paints and pharmaceuticals.