Colorless to yellow liquid
In the synthesis of photographic and agricultural chemicals, pharmaceutical intermediates. As a stabilizer; catalyst; curing and chlorinating agent; precursor to methanesulfonic acid.
UN3246 Methanesulfonyl chloride, Hazard Class
6.1; Labels: 6.1-Poison Inhalation Hazard, 8-Corrosive
material, Inhalation Hazard Zone B.
Combustible material: may burn but does not ignite readily. Substance will react with water (some violently) releasing flammable, toxic or corrosive gases and runoff. When heated, vapors may form explosive mixtures with air: indoors, outdoors and sewers explosion hazards. Most vapors are heavier than air. They will spread along ground and collect in low or confined areas (sewers, basements, tanks). Vapors may travel to source of ignition and flash back. Contact with metals may evolve flammable hydrogen gas. Containers may explode when heated or if contaminated with water.
Distil the sulfonyl chloride from P2O5 under vacuum. It is a strong IRRITANT.[Beilstein 4 IV 27.]
Vapors may form explosive mixture with
air. Slowly reacts with water, releasing toxic and corrosive
hydrogen chloride gas. Incompatible with oxidizers
(chlorates, nitrates, peroxides, permanganates, perchlorates,
chlorine, bromine, fluorine, etc.); contact may cause fires
or explosions. Keep away from alkaline materials, DMSO,
ethers, strong acids, strong bases.
Pale yellow corrosive liquid. Unpleasant, pungent odor.
Methanesulfonyl chloride reacts vigorously with water, steam, alkali, methylformamide. Emits toxic fumes of chloride and oxides of sulfur when heated to decomposition. A dangerous storage hazard. Reacts explosively with dimethyl sulfoxide [Buckley, A., J. Chem. Educ., 1965, 42, p. 674]. May react vigorously or explosively if mixed with diisopropyl ether or other ethers in the presence of trace amounts of metal salts [J. Haz. Mat., 1981, 4, 291].
Chemical intermediate in various
industries including pesticides, flame retardants, pharmaceuticals, plastics. A solvent, curing agent, and chemical
stabilizer. Laboratory chemical.
A pale yellow corrosive liquid. More dense than water and insoluble in water. Very toxic by ingestion, inhalation, or skin absorption.
TOXIC; inhalation, ingestion or contact (skin, eyes) with vapors, dusts or substance may cause severe injury, burns or death. Contact with molten substance may cause severe burns to skin and eyes. Reaction with water or moist air will release toxic, corrosive or flammable gases. Reaction with water may generate much heat that will increase the concentration of fumes in the air. Fire will produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases. Runoff from fire control or dilution water may be corrosive and/or toxic and cause pollution.
Use a licensed professional
waste disposal service to dispose of this material. Dissolve
or mix the material with a combustible solvent and burn
in a chemical incinerator equipped with an afterburner
and scrubber. All federal, state, and local environmental
regulations must be observed