gamma-Butyrolactone is combustible.
- It is an important organic synthesis intermediate which can be used to synthesize indole butyric acid, butyric acid, succinic acid, α-pyrrolidone, N-methylpyrrolidone, vinyl pyrrolidone, acetyl-γ-butyrolactone, cyclopropylamine, ciprofloxacin, vitamin B1, chlorophyll and so on;
- It is a non-toxic high boiling point solvent with high solubility and safe and convenient usage and management;
- It is used as an extractant for butadiene, aromatic, advanced grease petroleum processing;
- It is used as an acrylonitrile fiber spinning solvent in the chemical fiber industry.
- It is a thinner and curing agent commonly used in wool, nylon, acrylonitrile and other fiber dyeing auxiliaries and other chemical industries.
Colorless transparent liquid It is miscible with water and the general organic and slightly soluble in aliphatic hydrocarbons.
oral-rat LD50: 1540 mg/kg; oral-mouse LD50: 1720 mg/kg
Hazardous characteristics of the explosive
Explosible when react with butanol, 2,4-dichlorophenol and sodium hydroxide
Maleic anhydride hydrogenation method is an advanced technology developed in 1970s. It can produce tetrahydrofuran and γ-butyrolactone in any proportion with a hydrogenation reaction, and the usual ratio is tetrachlorofuran: γ-butyrolactone = 3-4:1.
There are many production enterprises, but usually in small scale. The average level is 300t/a. The production capacity account for 30% of the total domestic production capacity. 2.1, 4-butanediol dehydrogenation reactor is a tube array reactor, filled with flake copper catalyst (with zinc oxide as the carrier). The reaction temperature is controlled at 230-240 ° C. The yield of the product is obtained by reduced pressure distillation of and the yield is above 77%.
Air & Water Reactions
Hygroscopic. Soluble in water.
gamma-Butyrolactone can react with oxidizing materials, inorganic acids and bases, alcohols and amines. Rapidly hydrolyzed by bases and slowly hydrolyzed by acids. gamma-Butyrolactone is volatile with steam. . The combination of the lactone, butanol, 2,4-dichlorophenol, and sodium hydroxide in the attempted synthesis of 2,4-dichlorophenoxybutyric acid caused a thermal runaway reaction that eventually exploded, [CISHC Chem. Safety Summ., 1977, 48, 3].
colourless oily liquid
ChEBI: A butan-4-olide that is tetrahydrofuran substituted by an oxo group at position 2.
r-butyrolactone is one kind of important fine chemicalintermediate, simultaneously also is one kind of performance fine highboiling point solvent, ideal antioxidant, plasticizer,extracting agent, absorbent, dispersing agent, solid stain, Coagulation Reagent.
Clear colorless oily liquid with a pleasant odor.
Flammable in case of heat, open flame; being able to react with oxidant; releasing toxic pungent smoke when in the process of pyrolysis.
Dry the lactone over anhydrous CaSO4, then fractionally distil it. Handle it in a fume cupboard due to its TOXICITY. [Beilstein 17 V 7.]
Intermediate in the synthesis of polyvinylpyrrolidone, DL-methionine, piperidine, phenylbutyric acid, thiobutyric acids. Solvent for polyacrylonitrile, cellulose acetate, methyl methacrylate polymers, polystyrene. Constituent of paint removers, textile aids, drilling oils.
Dry powder, carbon dioxide, foam
Storage and transportation properties
Make sure ventilating, low temperature and drying in the warehouse; separate from the oxidant; prevent fires.